As we move further into Autumn and the evenings get cooler, our thoughts turn to hearty and warming meals like this one - enjoy!
4 pieces osso bucco
1 tbsp olive oil
500 ml beef stock
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
800 g cans butter beans, drained and rinsed
1 bouquet garni (see tip)
1 cup green beans, chopped
2 cup basil leaves
¼ cup pine nuts
1 clove garlic, chopped
¼ cup olive oil
40 g parmesan, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Pat osso bucco dry with paper towel, brush with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a large cast iron pan with a lid over high heat and brown osso bucco on both sides.
- Add stock, onion, carrot, butter beans and bouquet garni. Bring to the boil, cover meat with a piece of baking paper and then the lid and place in oven for 1½ hrs or until beef is very tender. Add green beans in the last 10 mins of cooking.
- Place basil, pine nuts and garlic in a small food processor and process until finely chopped. Add olive oil and process until smooth. Stir through parmesan.
- Divide vegetables and sauce between 4 bowls and top each with a piece of osso bucco and a dollop of pesto.
- Bouquet garni is a small parcel of herbs, usually bay leaf, lemon peel, thyme and rosemary. Substitute with your favourite herbs.
- Substitute basil pesto with a store-bought version.