- 1 bone-in large ham
- 2x 330ml bottles apple cider from McLaren Vale Orchard
- 200g brown sugar
- 5 cinnamon quills
- 8 star anise
- 200g butter
- 2 lemons zested
- Find a baking/roasting dish your ham fits into snugly.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Remove the rind from the ham leaving the fat layer on.
- Score the fat in a cross-hatch pattern.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together and pour of the ham, making sure the whole spices are on top for roasting.
You can leave the ham overnight at this stage to marinate.
- Pre-heat the oven and put in the ham. Cook for 15 minute increments.
- Regularly baste the ham with the pan juices. If the ham is browning too quickly turn down the oven. The ham will take a minimum of 90 minutes and up to 2 hours to cook until tender.
- By the end of cooking time the glaze is shiny and very reduced. Don't let the pan burn, and add a little water to the glaze if needed.